NEoN (North East of North) is proud to be part of the Green Arts Initiative, an interactive community of Scottish arts organisations working to reduce their environmental impact. Run by Creative Carbon Scotland and Festivals Edinburgh since 2013, the Green Arts Initiative supports Scottish arts organisations to be at the forefront of growing an environmentally sustainable Scotland.
NEoN (North East of North) Ltd recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. We will encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
NEoN wishes to minimise the adverse environmental impact of its programme, better manage its resources considering environmental impact, to promote environmental best practice procedures throughout the organisation and contribute generally to the improvement of the local, national and global environment.
NEoN shall endeavour so far as it deems reasonably practicable to:
- Comply with UK environmental legislation and guidelines;
- Take note and account of EU environmental guidelines;
- Promote environmental practices throughout the organisation;
- Strive towards continual improvement in reducing the adverse environmental impact caused through any of its activities;
- Ensure efficient, environmentally responsible use of resources, particularly energy and water.
- Promote environmentally responsible procurement of the acquisition of goods and services for its use;
- Apply proper principles of good waste management with a view to reduce, reuse, recycle, recover and/or dispose of waste products;
- Promote and encourage the reduction of pollution;
- Minimise the impact of travel on the environment, for example by promoting the use of public transport, cycling and walking, and increasing online meetings;
- Giving preference to products and services that cause less harm to the environment;
- Minimise adverse environmental impact in decommissioning and disposing of assets;
- Be open in the communication, both internally and externally, about the Organisation’s environmental performance; and annually review this Policy.
Aims and Objectives
- As a minimum, to comply with the requirements of relevant legislation.
- To reduce and, where practicable, prevent pollution.
- To ensure a sound understanding of current environmental performance.
- To look at implementing a carbon reduction strategy, including the efficient use of energy.
- To make efficient and environmentally responsible use of water,
- To minimise the adverse environmental impacts of the decommissioning and disposal of assets.
- To increase the rate of recycling of all appropriate materials based on life-cycle principles.
- To implement sustainable transport practices across all activities.
- To undertake a regular review of environmental procedures and activities to ensure suitability adequacy and effectiveness.
- We will minimise the use of paper in any projects and in day-to-day work.
- We will reduce packaging as much as possible.
- We will seek to buy recycled and recyclable paper products.
- We will reuse and recycle all paper where possible.
Energy and Water
- We will seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- Lights and electrical equipment will be switched off when not in use.
- Heating will be adjusted with energy consumption in mind.
- The energy consumption and efficiency of new products will be taken into account when purchasing.
- We will evaluate if the need can be met in another way.
- We will evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- We will evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- We will favour more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- We will reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
- We will reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- We will promote the use of travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing.
- We will make additional efforts to accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
- We will favour ‘green’ vehicles and maintain them rigorously to ensure ongoing efficiency.
Maintenance and Cleaning
- Cleaning materials used will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- Materials used in office refurbishment will be as environmentally friendly as possible.
- We will only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
Monitoring and Improvement
- We will comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- We will continually improve and monitor environmental performance.
- We will continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- We will incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- We will increase employee awareness through training.
- We will review this policy and any related business issues at our monthly management meetings.
- We will involve staff in the implementation of this policy, for greater commitment and improved performance.
- We will update this policy at least once annually in consultation with staff and other stakeholders where necessary.
- We will provide staff with relevant environmental training.
- We will work with suppliers, contractors and sub-contractors to improve their environmental performance.
- We will use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.